Sunday, December 4, 2011

Movie Review: The Dirty Picture not so 'Dirty' !!


It doesn't happens very often that
Hashmi watches while the others
make hay. But that is what
happened in this movie!!

This is for the first time in my blog that I am attempting to review a movie, so will keep it extremely short and crispy. Rest assured that there are not going to be any spoilers nor am I going to bore you with my knowledge of cinematography (which by the way doesn't exists too). But before starting with the review, given my caring nature, I consider it as my duty to warn you of a couple of things. First, if you consider yourself a holier-than-thou individual, then do yourself and others around you a favor by staying away because all you will be doing after watching the movie would be badmouthing the actors, the art, the concept and most importantly the skill. Second, ladies need to buckle up because the expectation level of their beaus is bound to shoot through the roof after watching this movie.


'The Dirty Picture' is, without a shadow of doubt, a Vidya Balan movie all the way, with her character of Silk being the straw that stirs the entire movie for an entire 2 hr 20 mins. Yes, I know it sounds peculiar given that there was a certain Nasseruddin Shah as the co-actor, but such is the dominant role of Silk in the flick. Nevertheless, Nasseruddin Shah who is easily my favorite Bollywood actor does justice to his role notwithstanding how minuscule it was, but then he doesn't knows any other way, does he?


Tusshar Kapoor's role, like in all his earlier movies, could have been avoided. But then when you have a untalented brother breathing down your neck, you have to throw your weight at some point of time and see him through, so that is good Karma for Ekta Kapoor. Nevertheless, let us give a big hand to Tusshar for finally getting to speak in a movie (if you catch my drift). I don't know about others but Tusshar Kapoor looks so helpless to me that I wouldn't be surprised if a gal gives herself to him just out of pity for him. But what would amuse many would be the role played by Emraan Hashmi who is unofficially the Father of Fornication in India. In the movie he plays an old-school director who thoroughly despises the sex-bomb that is Silk. But as it happens all the time with Hashmi Sahab, he finally falls in love with Silk and is almost on the verge of making Murder 3 when the movie ends. We can only thank God for that!


YES, the movie is loaded with some no-holds-barred raunchy scenes, YES the dialoguebaazi in the movie is straight out of a Delhi University boys hostel but NO, it is not a dirty movie!! I know nobody cares, but I would go for a happy 4 out of 5 for The Dirty Picture. 1 for the brave effort by the director Milan Luthria who trod the thin line without falling on the other side into vulgarity, 1 for the mind-blowing dialoguebaazi which you would seriously attempt to by-heart if it doesn't tattoos to your brain automatically, and 2 for the gutsy Vidya Balan alone who when it comes to acting eats Kareena for breakfast and defecates Katrina. And YES, you need not every-time tattoo ISI on your arm to convey a message!!  So that is it. Short and crisp as promised!


P.S. For me the high point in the movie was when I overheard a girl behind me asking his guy 'Yeh Nasbandi Kya Hota Hai?' 


P.P.S. If you think my review was insightful then transfer me the ticket money for the next Friday release. But if you are financially deprived like me then proceed to the Facebook Share button. However, if you think that I should end this review thingy ASAP then convey your contempt in the comments section (which I will moderate anyway).

14 comments:

  1. haha... I think u should continue this reviewing stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Avneesh: Alrite, surely will, now tht u insist ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job!! I will also write movie reviews some day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Giribala: thnx :) and ya review-writing is a gud idea..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro,

    Bahut sahi review diya hai... Gr8 Kuchh masale wale dialogues or daal dete jisse review or namkeen ho jata.. Anyway gr8 work once again..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best part in ur review is Tusshar's Kapoor's role. Hume bhi aissi koi bahen hoti :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ambar: Na bhai.. meri G mein itna D nahi hai ki is movie k koi dialogues apne blog mein mention kar paun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Dinesh: Pehle utne hopeless to bano :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely one mate!
    I just wish you had shed a bit more light on Hasmi sahab's role.I truly found this act of his impressive and intense(For the first time!)

    P.S. The comment that made the winning moment for me was when a guy at the back said:"Ekta Kapoor ne Tushaar Kapoor ko sab kuch bada diya hai is film me fir bhi sambhal nahi pa raha"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anonymous: True, Hashmi Sahab was impressive this time..nd thr were many other comments too that I overheard, but given this a public platform, I refrained frm mentioning them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was the word 'Dirty' included in the movie name because of Tushar and Imran in the movie? Apart from those two, everything else wasn't dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mission Possible bhai: I understand ur emotions ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What going wrong with bollywood industries because they not give us family entertainment after watch this movie i hate vidya balan. this is not family movie. dirty picture create public dirty mind. anyway indian cinema future going wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anand: :) Times changing.. But it was rated A movie right frm the outset..

    ReplyDelete